Monday, October 22, 2007


I made it to 2100 last night without falling asleep, though I did nod off at several moments. Got my passport and what looks like official 2 month visa. That should be enough time to do the necessary stuff to get the longer term visa.

Immediately hit my bunk and was out like a light. I set 2 alarms for 0600 to be up and ready for the 0830 meeting for me and the other 2 guys staying in Kuwait. Next thing I know, I'm being woken up by one of the other guys saying "'s 8:30, the guy is waiting for us...." I re-checked my alarms, both were still configured to go off at 0600, and the time is correct on both. Wow...I rarely sleep through alarms, and most of you know that missing an appointment, especially a first impression type appointment, is anathema to me. So I threw some clothes on, barely remembered to put shoes on as slippers are only kosher when taking a shower. Stumbled over to the big tent to get some documents photocopied. Of course my ITT supervisor was there... I'm not one of these people who can avoid taking a shower some mornings, I look every inch the disheveled barely alive shmuck til I've had that shower. Oh well, what can you do except apologize profusely and explain about the *two* alarm clocks that filed to wake you up.

Next meeting is at 1245 so I grabbed some breakfast (subway this morning, DFAC is closed) and headed down the MWR tent for some internet time.

It's looking like we'll be here through Wednesday at least, and unfortunately subjected to the all day long briefings/powerpoint presentations that will occur that day. They are hoping to get us to Arifjan by the end of the day Wednesday and have us working by Thursday, but they are not for sure about it.

I'm just trying to take it one day at a time. At least we have some meetings and stuff to do today. Yesterday was not fun, but I'm feeling better for my nearly 12 hours of sleep (not feeling nauseous anymore) and hoping the rest of the time here will go pretty quick.

The temperature is probably the same as yesterday (100 F) but feels much hotter for some reason. Perhaps the wind isn't blowing as hard, or my use of long pants may be contributing, but I have already had to mop my brow today, which was odd as yesterday I don't remember being sweaty even in the middle of the hottest part of the day.

Oh by the way, I've been listening a lot lately to the new Radiohead album In Rainbows which has been getting press because they released it on the internet completely bypassing the record companies, plus they are letting the consumers set the price they want to buy it for. I paid $10 last week and grabbed the mp3s and have been listening to it during the trip and actually right now. I really like it! I have never been a huge Radiohead fan, but I remember Creep when it was popular and liked that a lot. I must now go back and listen to their earlier stuff to see if its worth buying.

Ok, enough for now, getting the evil eye to move on (30 minute limit).

No comments: