Friday, May 23, 2008

Rowan Update



I thought it was about time to give an update on how Rowan is getting along. The pictures are all a few months old but I haven't had a chance to get new ones transfered. Picture him in swimming trunks, tan and blond. He looks just like a little California surfer.

Rowan is doing just great here in Kuwait. He has so much more of a social life than he did in the States and he is loving it. Just the other day he told me how much he loves Kuwait. Of course that was just after he had been in the sea and got within two feet of a good sized stingray, saw two cuttlefish, and loads and loads of "regular" fish. Not a bad day if you ask me. Having the sea out our front door is just amazing.

Homeschooling is also going really well. Much better than I expected. With the way Jesse's schedule changes every other week, I can't imagine how hard it would be if we had Rowan's school schedule to worry about too. He is technically in Kindergarten and we didn't even start it until January. I was planning to go all summer long and be ready to start 1st grade in the fall. Rowan is burning through the Kindergarten material so fast that I think we are going to be done sometime in July. It would be nice to have a little break before starting up again.

I have mentioned before his love for science and having the sea to "do" science with is really great. What he is really into right now, though, is space. I know that most boys (and many girls) go through a space phase, but with Rowan's obsessive personality he has to know everything there is to know about something before he can let it rest. Luckily we got our hands on this really great show called "The Universe" put out by the History Channel. It's not made for kids, but he just loves it and it gives him more answers than his Kindergarten books.

Right now, of course, any moment not spent doing something else is spent swimming. He has really come a long way in a short time. He swims compeletly independantly with no floatation devices. He can dive quite well and is starting to do flips. He can spend around four hours in the pool and still have energy left over!

All in all Rowan is doing great. He has a good group of friends who all love the sea ( and the creatures in it) and is having much more of a "life" than he has ever had before. Who knew that Kuwait would be the place for him?

3 comments:

Deb said...

I was just wondering how you all were doing, and then there it was: an update on your blog! I'm so glad to hear that you are doing well and the Rowan loves Kuwait and the ocean. I'm glad he has a little more room to roam.

Kerri said...

It's nice to see your face Deb! You really couldn't imagine a better place for him and I can't believe that homeschooling is actually going well. You know how I was feeling about that before . . .
Turns out God really does know what's best for us. Imagine that!

Anonymous said...

This had to be the best Mother's Day ever - you posted this update on my incredible grandson, and then Ben got engaged to Sandy, who is so awesome. Thanks so much, Kerri, and please give him big hugs and kisses from me and Milei. Sorry I thought to thank you so late - very busy getting ready for China. Hope YOU are happy, and sure sounds as if you are.